There is something new happening at Anthem Blue Cross
What is happening?
Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) is excited to notify providers of upcoming improvements to our platform for utilization review. These changes will be transparent to members and providers, and we are optimistic they will improve our ability to serve our members better by giving our associates easier and quicker access to necessary resources. The new platform also provides improved system capabilities, which will allow associates to perform their job functions with increased efficiency. Our goal is to have Anthem associates begin using the new Anthem Care Management System (ACMS) beginning in the first quarter of 2021.
What does this mean for you?
As a provider and/or representative managing and requesting authorizations:
- Nothing will change as it relates to how you request services for your members.
- Nothing will change with how you submit claim requests.
- The new ACMS authorization number will have a UM prefix. Example UM1234567
- If you have an existing authorization number, it will be valid and accessible after systems change.
- If you have both an existing authorization number and an ACMS authorization number with a UM prefix, either can be used as a reference for the requested service(s).
- After the new system implementation, letter correspondences will only display the ACMS authorization number.
- Providers may continue to use either system generated authorization numbers or member demographics (for example, name, date of birth, Member/Subscriber ID, Medicaid ID) to search authorization details.
- For Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Providers: The ACMS number may not be viewable in the EVV system. If you are searching for your authorization, please use the other search options provided by the EVV vendor to locate your authorization outside of the ACMS number.
We are here to help!
If you have questions or concerns regarding an authorization for a requested service, you may call one of our Medi-Cal Customer Care Centers
- 1-800-407-4627 (outside L.A. County)
- 1-888-285-7801 (inside L.A. County)
April 2021 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California