Reminder: Post service reviews using AIM
As previously communicated in the October 2017 Network Update, Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) uses AIM to administer pre-service clinical reviews for services noted below. AIM reviews requests in real time against evidence-based clinical guidelines and Anthem medical policies. Providers are notified via letter or remit message when claims are submitted without the appropriate pre-service review by AIM. If such a letter or message is received, providers will need to obtain a post-service clinical review for the service via the AIM ProviderPortalSM. If documentation/post–service review request is submitted to Anthem, Providers are notified via another letter or remit message to submit to AIM.
To help prevent delays in claim processing and post-service reviews, ordering providers submit pre-service request to AIM in one of the following ways:
- Access AIM ProviderPortal directly at providerportal.com available 24/7 to process orders in real-time
- Access AIM via the Availity web portal at availity.com
- Call the AIM Contact Center toll-free number: 1-877-291-0360, Monday–Friday, 7:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. PT.
As a reminder, AIM reviews the following services for clinical appropriateness:
- Advanced diagnostic imaging
- Cardiology tests and procedures (e.g. MPI, echocardiography, PCI, cardiac catheterization)
- Medical oncology treatments through the Cancer Care Quality Program
- Radiation oncology treatments (e.g. IMRT, brachytherapy)
- Sleep testing, treatment and supplies
- Genetic testing
- Musculoskeletal (e.g., spine and joint surgeries, pain management)
- Surgical Site of Care (e.g., gastroenterology, other surgeries will be implemented which will be communicated via our provider newsletter) – effective December 1, 2020
Services performed in an emergency or inpatient setting are excluded from AIM programs.
This update applies to local fully-insured Anthem members and members who are covered under a self-insured (ASO) benefit plan, with services medically managed by AIM. It does not apply to HMO, BlueCard®, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, Medicare Supplement, Federal Employee Program® (FEP®).
For more information please contact the phone number on the back of the member ID card.
November 2020 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California