Important update: Help for members impacted by wildfires in California
We are making temporary changes to health plan benefits to provide relief for members who must leave their homes due to the impact of the current wildfire emergency.
- For members who live in Tehama, Trinity, and Shasta counties, these changes are in effect from August 10, 2021, through September 8, 2021.
- For members who live in Nevada and Placer counties, these changes are in effect from August 5, 2021, through September 3, 2021.
- For members who live in Siskiyou County, these changes are in effect from August 5, 2021, through September 3, 2021. (Note: This is an extension for Siskiyou County. Its original effective dates were July 16, 2021, through August 14, 2021.)
- For members who live in Alpine, Butte, Lassen, and Plumas counties, these changes are in effect from July 23, 2021, through August 21, 2021. (Note: This is an extension for Lassen and Plumas counties. Their original effective dates were July 16, 2021, through August 14, 2021.)
If members need assistance during this emergency, we encouraged our members to please call us at 833-285-4030, weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. We can help with finding available doctors, refilling prescription drugs, or other health plan questions.
If an Anthem member needs health care right away
- Members can receive emergency or urgent care from any doctor or hospital, even if they are not in their plan’s network. We will pay the claims as if they are in Anthem plan’s network.
- If a member doctor’s office or healthcare facility is closed because of the fires or extreme hot weather, or if they are unable to travel there, the member can easily contact us for support at 833-285-4030. We can help them find another doctor.
- If the member is in a care management program and needs to reach them the member can call 833-285-4030.
If an Anthem member needs prescription refills
- If the member’s Anthem plan covers their prescription medications, the member can receive up to a 30-day emergency refill at any pharmacy now, even if it’s not in their plan’s network.
- If a member uses Anthem’s mail-order pharmacy and their address changed, members may call us at 833-285-4030 so we can make sure to send their medicine to the right place.
If an Anthem member’s medical equipment is lost or damaged
- We can help members replace their equipment (also called durable medical equipment or DME). Members can call us at 833-285-4030.
If an Anthem member’s eyeglasses or contact lenses are lost or damaged
- We can help members replace their eyeglasses or contact lenses. Members can call us at 833-285-4030.
If an Anthem member needs preapprovals or referrals
- Members have more time to request them. There won’t be any late fees. Members can call 833-285-4030 if they need an extension.
If a Provider needs to file a claim
- Providers will have more time to file claims. Call us at 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
If an Anthem member needs mental health or other additional support
- Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers mental health support as well as resources on our website to help with legal/financial concerns and dependent-care needs. Call the EAP crisis line 24/7 at 877-208-8240 or go to com and use the log in: EAP Can Help.
If an Anthem member is unable to pay their health plan premium due to the emergency
- If a member receives a bill directly from Anthem for their monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the emergency, members have more time to pay their bill. Members can call us at 833-285-4030 to discuss options.
These relaxed guidelines are in effect for members who reside in Alpine, Butte, Lassen, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Tehama, Trinity, Shasta, and Siskiyou counties in California and who must temporarily leave their home due to the wildfire emergency.
The time period for updated support and care may change based on the conditions. Please check here for updates: https://www.anthem.com/ca/blog/member-news/help-for-members-impacted-by-wildfires-in-california/
These changes are for members with Anthem group health plans through their employers, Anthem individual and family plans, and Medi-Cal. These changes are not for Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan, Medicare Advantage, or Medicare Part D plans. Those plans have their own guidelines.
If you have immediate questions in regards to member care and this notification, please contact the Provider Service phone number on the back of your patient’s ID card. If your office has closed due to the fires please contact your Anthem representative.
September 2021 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California