Help for members impacted by wildfires in California
This communication applies to the Commercial, Medicaid, and Medicare Advantage programs from Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) in California.
We are making temporary changes to health plan benefits to provide relief for members who live in California and are impacted by the state’s current wildfire emergency. The changes are in effect for:
- Mariposa County from July 23 through August 21, 2022.
- Siskiyou County from July 30 through August 28, 2022.
- Emergency responders who have been activated by their state or local agency but who do not reside in the impacted area.
For assistance during this emergency, members can call 833-285-4030 Monday to Friday from
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. We can help with finding available doctors, refilling prescription drugs, and other health plan questions.
Emergency or urgent care:
- Members can receive emergency or urgent care from any doctor or hospital, even if they are not in their plan’s network. We will pay the claims as if they are in their plan’s network.
- If members doctor’s office or healthcare facility is closed because of the emergency, or if member is unable to travel there, they can call 833-285-4030. We can help members find another doctor.
- If members are in a care management program and need to reach the care management team, members can call 833-285-4030.
- If a member’s Anthem plan covers their prescription medications, they can receive up to a
30-day emergency refill at any pharmacy now, even if it’s not in their plan’s network.
- If a member uses the Anthem mail-order pharmacy and their address changed, they can call 833-285-4030 so we can make sure to send their medicine to the right place.
Lost or damaged medical equipment:
We can help members replace their equipment (also called durable medical equipment [DME]) if they call 833-285-4030.
Lost or damages eyeglasses or contact lenses:
We can help members replace their eyeglasses or contact lenses if they call 833-285-4030.
Preapprovals or referrals:
Members have more time to request preapprovals or referrals without late fees. Members can call 833-285-4030 if they need an extension.
Filing a claim:
Members and their doctors have more time to file claims by calling 833-285-4030 to request an extension.
Mental health or other additional support:
Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers mental health support as well as resources on our website to help with legal and financial concerns and dependent-care needs. You can call the EAP crisis line 24/7 at 877-208-8240 or go to anthemeap.com and use the log in EAP Can Help.
Health plan premiums:
If a member receives a bill directly from Anthem for their monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the emergency, they have more time to pay their bill. Members can call 833-285-4030 to discuss options.
The period for updated support and care may change based on the conditions. Please check back here for updates.
These changes are for members with Anthem group health plans through their employers, Anthem individual and family plans, Medi-Cal Managed Care, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, or Medicare Supplement plans. These changes are not for Federal Employee Health benefit plans which have their own guidelines.
If members need additional support, please have them call 833-285-4030.
For additional support during the wildfires, check these state resources:
- California Department of Public Health Wildfire Information
- California Office of Emergency Services: Wildfire Recovery Health Information
- CAL FIRE: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
- California Office of Emergency Services: Resources for Californians impacted by wildfires
September 2022 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California