Anthem Blue Cross’ Language Assistance Program: No interpreter? No problem!
Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) wants you to be able to communicate with your patients clearly and accurately.
- It’s easy, it’s free!
- No advance notice required
- All languages
For members whose primary language isn’t English, Anthem offers free language assistance services through interpreters. Members can call the Anthem Member Services number on their member’s ID card (TTY/TDD: 711) during regular business hours. After regular business hours, telephonic interpreter services are available through the 24/7 NurseLine. If you would like to access an interpreter on behalf of your member, please contact 1-800-677-6669.
Please remember, in accordance with the California Language Assistance Program, you must notify Anthem members of the availability of the health plan interpreter services. You must also document a member’s refusal of any needed interpreter services in his or her patient chart. Make sure to let your patients know that Anthem’s Customer Service Representatives are available to help coordinate appointment scheduling through the interpreter services. Anthem does not delegate the provision of any Language Assistance services, below is what you can expect when accessing language services:
- Give the customer care associate the member’s ID number.
- Explain the need for an interpreter and state the language.
- Wait on the line while the connection is made.
- Once connected to the interpreter, the associate introduces the Anthem Blue Cross member, explains the reason for the call, and begins the dialogue.
Face-to-Face Interpreters Including Sign Language
Members can request to have an interpreter assist at a doctor’s office. This request may be made in advance, or when the member is in the office. Doctors may make these requests on behalf of members. Seventy-two business hours are required to schedule services, and 24 business hours are required to cancel
Written materials are translated upon request
- Materials who are Covered Individual-specific, for example, denial, delay, or claims letters are sent in English with the offer of translation when requested.
- Requested translated materials are sent to the Covered Individual no later than 21 days from the request date.
- Physicians and other health care professionals should advise their patients to contact Anthem Blue Cross by calling 1-888-254-2721 to request translated materials.
- Physicians and other health care professionals can call Anthem Blue Cross at 1-800-677-6669 to request translation on the Covered Individual’s behalf. Urgent requests are handled within one business day and non-urgent requests are handled within two business days. A copy of the document is required in order to complete the translation request.
September 2019 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California