Reminder: HCPCS code A0998 Ambulance response and treatment with no transport is active and available for use
- The code is currently active and available for EMS use.
- If an EMS provider responds to an emergency call and provides appropriate treatment at-home or on-site without transporting to the ER, code A0998 can be used.
- The EMS provider must render treatment to the patient per EMS protocols which are approved by the medical director at the local or state level.
- Billing of A0998 when treatment is not rendered is not appropriate.
- Anthem will apply medical necessity review to A0998 using clinical guideline CG-ANC-06.
- HCPCS code A0998 applies to all of Anthem’s commercial health plans, and reimbursement will be made in accordance with the member’s benefits.
- For contract questions, please reach out to your contract representative.
- For questions about using code A0998, please reach out to Jay Moore, Senior Clinical Director for Anthem, Inc.
January 2019 Anthem Wisconsin Provider Newsletter