Reducing the burden of medical record review and improving health outcomes with ECDS reporting
The ECDS Reporting Standard provides a method to collect and report structured electronic clinical data for HEDIS quality measurement and improvement.
Benefits to providers:
- Reduced burden of medical record review for quality reporting
- Improved health outcomes and care quality due to greater insights for more specific patient-centered care
ECDS reporting is part of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)’s larger strategy to enable a Digital Quality System and is aligned with the industry’s move to digital measures.
Click here to learn more about NCQA’s digital quality system and what is means to you and your practice.
The first publicly reported measure using the HEDIS® Electronic Clinical Data System (ECDS) reporting standard is the Prenatal Immunization Status (PRS) measure. In 2022, NCQA will include the PRS measure in Health Plan Ratings for Medicaid and Commercial plans for measurement year 2021.
For HEDIS Measurement Year 2022, the following measures can be reported using ECDS:
- Childhood Immunization Status CIS-E*
- Immunizations for Adolescents IMA-E*
- Breast Cancer Screening BCS-E
- Colorectal Cancer Screening COL-E
- Follow-Up Care for Children Prescribed ADHD Medication ADD-E
- Metabolic Monitoring for Children and Adolescents on Antipsychotics APM-E*
- Depression Screening and Follow-Up for Adolescents and Adults DSF-E
- Utilization of the PHQ-9 to Monitor Depression Symptoms for Adolescents and Adults DMS-E
- Depression Remission or Response for Adolescents and Adults DRR-E
- Unhealthy Alcohol Use Screening and Follow-Up ASF-E
- Adult Immunization Status AIS-E
- Prenatal Immunization Status PRS-E (Accreditation measure for 2021)
- Prenatal Depression Screening and Follow-Up PND-E
- Postpartum Depression Screening and Follow-Up PDS-E
*Indicates that this is the first year that the measure can be reported using ECDS
Of note, NCQA added the ECDS reporting method to three existing HEDIS measures: Breast Cancer Screening, Colorectal Cancer Screening and Follow-up Care for Children Prescribed ADHD Medication. Initially, the ECDS method will be optional which provides health plans an opportunity to report using the ECDS method while transitioning to ECDS only in the future.
HEDIS® is a registered trademark of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
November 2021 Anthem Provider News - Wisconsin