Coordination of care
Coordination of care among providers is a vital aspect of good treatment planning to ensure appropriate diagnosis, treatment and referral. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield (Anthem) would like to take this opportunity to stress the importance of communicating with your patient’s other health care practitioners. This includes primary care physicians (PCPs) and medical specialists, as well as behavioral health practitioners.
Coordination of care is especially important for patients with high utilization of general medical services and those referred to a behavioral health specialist by another health care practitioner. Anthem urges all of its practitioners to obtain the appropriate permission from these patients to coordinate care between behavioral health and other health care practitioners at the time treatment begins.
We expect all health care practitioners to:
- Discuss with the patient the importance of communicating with other treating practitioners.
- Obtain a signed release from the patient and file a copy in the medical record.
- Document in the medical record if the patient refuses to sign a release.
- Document in the medical record if you request a consultation.
- If you make a referral, transmit necessary information; and if you are furnishing a referral, report appropriate information back to the referring practitioner.
- Document evidence of clinical feedback (i.e., consultation report) that includes, but is not limited to:
- Treatment plan
- Psychopharmacological medication (as applicable)
In an effort to facilitate coordination of care, Anthem has several tools available on our anthem.com Provider website for behavioral health and other medical practitioners including:
- Coordination of Care Form
- Coordination of Care Letter Template – Behavioral Health
- Coordination of Care Letter Template – Medical
The following behavioral health forms, brochures, and screening tools for substance abuse and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are also available on our anthem.com Provider website:
- Alcohol Use Assessment Brochure
- Antidepressant Medication Management
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale
- Opioid Use Assessment Brochure
- Substance Brief Intervention/Referral Tool (SBIRT)
- Vanderbilt ADHD Diagnostic Parent Rating Scale
December 2021 Anthem Provider News - Wisconsin