Coverage Guidelines effective July 1, 2019
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia and our affiliate, HealthKeepers, Inc., will implement the following new and revised coverage guidelines effective July 1, 2019. These guidelines impact all our products – with the exception of Anthem HealthKeepers Plus (Medicaid), the Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus (Anthem CCC Plus) plan, Medicare Advantage, and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan (also called the Federal Employee Program or FEP). Furthermore, the guidelines were among those recently approved at the Medical Policy and Technology Assessment Committee meeting held on January 24, 2019.
The services addressed in these coverage guidelines in this section and in the attachment under "Article Attachments" on the right will require authorization for all of our HealthKeepers, Inc. products with the exception of Anthem HealthKeepers Plus (Medicaid), the Anthem CCC Plus plan, Medicare Advantage, and the Federal Employee Program.
A pre-determination can be requested for our PPO products.
Services related to specialty pharmacy drugs (non-cancer related) require a Medical Necessity review, which includes site of care criteria, as outlined in the applicable coverage or clinical UM guideline listed below.
The guidelines address in this edition are:
- Multiplex Autoantigen Microarray Testing for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (LAB.00036)
- Treatment of Varicose Veins (Lower Extremity) (SURG.00037)
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Joint and Ligament Disorders, Autoimmune, Inflammatory and Degenerative Diseases (TRANS.00035)
- Genetic Testing for DMD Mutations (Duchenne or Becker Muscular Dystrophy) (CG-GENE-05)
- Paraesophageal Hernia Repair (CG-SURG-92)
April 2019 Anthem Provider Newsletter - Virginia