Closing gaps in care through telehealth
Please note, this communication applies to Anthem HealthKeepers Plus, Medallion and Anthem HealthKeepers Plus, Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus (Anthem CCC Plus) offered by HealthKeepers, Inc.
Telehealth is quickly growing into a major part of the healthcare ecosystem, and the COVID-19 pandemic only furthered that acceleration. In fact, the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) updated their HEDIS® quality measures in response to this recent surge. Aside from offering convenience to patients, telehealth can greatly reduce gaps in care for our Anthem HealthKeepers Plus members.
The pandemic has certainly shed light on many aspects of our society, but one thing is for sure: access to quality care is more important than ever.
Why telehealth matters
Our members have challenges with transportation, childcare, taking time off from work, and other responsibilities, which can make it difficult to get to the office. Telehealth can reduce these barriers by:
- Providing virtual doctor visits completed from the comfort of home.
- Making it easier to access care for patients with mobility issues and/or in rural areas.
- Removing the need to arrange for transportation or childcare.
- Offering appointments conducive to busy schedules.
Telehealth offers improved patient experience and satisfaction, and it also represents a significant reduction in missed appointments or no shows. Telehealth may not be appropriate in all situations, but for routine or follow‑up visits, it may benefit both the patient and provider.
Types of visits ideal for telehealth
- Antidepressant Medication Management
- Follow-Up Care for Children Prescribed ADHD Medication
- Follow-Up After Emergency Department Visit for Mental Illness
Primary care and chronic condition management:
- Controlling High Blood Pressure
- Statin Therapy for Patients with Cardiovascular Disease
- Comprehensive Diabetes Care
- Asthma Medication Ratio
Prenatal ─ routine, follow-ups, low-risk pregnancies:
- Well-Child Visits in the First 30 Months of Life
- Child and Adolescent Well Visits
Be sure to code correctly for telehealth visits. See our HEDIS Telehealth-Eligible Measures Coding bulletin located on the provider website for more information.
Continuing education opportunity
We are offering one continuing medical education (CME) credit/continuing education unit (CEU) for an upcoming training titled Telehealth 2.0 - Building a Sustainable Model on September 9, 2021, at noon ET. An on-demand recording will also be available for your convenience.
Sign up for the session today.
If you have any questions about this communication, call Anthem HealthKeepers Plus, Medallion Provider Services at 800‑901‑0020 or Anthem CCC Plus Provider Services at 855‑323‑4687.
August 2021 Anthem Provider News - Virginia