Anthem in Virginia contracted air ambulance providers
As of December 1, 2020, the providers listed in the attachment under the "Article Attachments" section to the right are participating air ambulance providers with Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia. That means, for members picked up in Virginia, these participating providers have contractually agreed to accept the Anthem Rate as payment in full for approved and medically necessary transport, and they will bill those members for cost-shares only.
Some air ambulance providers choose not to participate with Anthem.
- These air ambulance providers may, and often do, charge members rates that are significantly higher than the Anthem contracted provider rates.
- These non-contracted air ambulance providers attempt to collect from Anthem members the difference between Anthem’s allowed amount and the provider’s billed amount.
To help Anthem members avoid the high costs of air transportation from non-contracted providers, we ask that, whenever possible, you choose a participating air ambulance provider for your patients who are Anthem members. Utilizing participating providers:
- Protects the member from balance billing for what may be excessive amounts,
- Assures the most economical use of the member’s benefits, and
- Is consistent with your contractual obligations to refer to in-network providers where available.
To schedule fixed wing or rotary wing air ambulance services, please
- Contact Anthem for precertification for all non-emergent transports, using the number on the back of the member’s ID card, then
- Call one of the phone numbers listed in the attachment. (Select the link under "Article Attachments" to the right.)
Please have the following information ready when you call one of the contracted air ambulance providers:
- Basic medical information about the patient, including the patient’s name and date of birth or age. If the service was not precertified with Anthem, the air ambulance provider will also need to receive a full medical report from the attending facility.
- Current location of the patient, the name of the hospital or facility caring for the patient and its address (city and state).
- Location where patient is to be transported, including the name of the destination hospital/facility and address.
- Approximate transport date or timeframe.
- Special equipment or care needs.
Should you have questions regarding the air ambulance network, including providers contracted for air ambulance pickups outside of Virginia, please contact your Anthem Provider Network Manager.
For a list of contracted air ambulance providers for Anthem in Virginia, select the link under the "Article Attachments" section above.
To arrange air transport originating outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico:
Call 800-810-BLUE or BCBS Global Core formerly BlueCard Worldwide.
December 2020 Anthem Provider News - Virginia