Coordination of care
Coordination of care is especially important for patients with high utilization of general medical services, and those referred to a behavioral health specialist by another healthcare practitioner. Anthem urges all its practitioners to obtain the appropriate permission from these patients to coordinate care between behavioral health and other healthcare practitioners at the time treatment begins.
We expect all healthcare practitioners to:
- Discuss with the patient the importance of communicating with other treating practitioners.
- Obtain a signed release from the patient and file a copy in the medical record.
- Document in the medical record if the patient refuses to sign a release.
- Document in the medical record if you request a consultation.
- If you make a referral, transmit necessary information, and if you are furnishing a referral, report appropriate information back to the referring practitioner.
- Document evidence of clinical feedback (for example, consultation report) that includes, but is not limited to:
- Treatment plan.
- Psychopharmacological medication (as applicable).
In an effort to facilitate coordination of care, Anthem has several tools available on our provider website for behavioral health and other medical practitioners including:
- Coordination of Care Form.
- Coordination of Care Letter Template - Behavioral Health.
- Coordination of Care Letter Template - Medical.
The following behavioral health forms, brochures, and screening tools for substance use and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are also available on our provider website:
- Alcohol Use Assessment
- Antidepressant medication management.
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale.
- Opioid Use Assessment brochure.
- Substance Brief Intervention/Referral Tool (SBIRT).
- Vanderbilt ADHD Diagnostic Parent Rating Scale.
December 2022 Anthem Provider News - Kentucky