Remote EMR access service for HEDIS
HEDIS medical record submission made easier with our remote EMR access service
Let us take on the responsibility to retrieve medical records for the annual HEDIS® hybrid project by signing up for the remote electronic medical record (EMR) access service offered by Anthem.
We offer providers the ability to grant access to their EMR system directly to pull the required documentation to aid your office in reaching compliance while reducing the time and costs associated with medical record retrieval.
We have a centralized EMR team experienced with multiple EMR systems and extensively trained annually on HIPAA, EMR systems, and HEDIS measure updates. We complete medical record retrieval based on minimum necessary guidelines:
- We only access medical records of members pulled into the HEDIS sample using specific demographic data.
- We only retrieve the medical records that have claims evidence related to the HEDIS measures.
- We access the least amount of information needed for use, disclosure, or for the specific medical records request.
- We only save to file and do not physically print any PHI.
Getting started with remote EMR access
Download and complete the registration form, then email it to us at: Centralized_EMR_Team@anthem.com.
How does Anthem retrieve your medical records?
We access your EMRs using a secure website and retrieve only the necessary documentation by printing to an electronic file we store internally on our secure network drives.
Is printing access necessary?
Yes, the NCQA audit requires print-to-file access.
Is this process secure?
Yes, we only use secure internal resources to access your EMR systems. All retrieved records are stored on Anthem secure network drives.
Why does Anthem need full access to the entire medical record?
There are several reasons we need to look at the entire medical record of a member:
- HEDIS measures can include up to a 10-year look back at a member’s information.
- Medical record data for HEDIS compliance may come from several different areas of the EMR system, including labs, radiology, surgeries, inpatient stays, outpatient visits, and case management.
- Compliant data may be documented or housed in a nonstandard format, such as an in‑office lab slip scanned into miscellaneous documents.
What information do I need to submit to use the remote EMR access service?
Complete the registration form that requests the following information:
- Practice/facility demographic information (for example, address, NPI, TIN, etc.)
- EMR system information (for example, type of EMR system, required access forms, access type, etc.)
- List of current providers/locations or a website for accessing this list
Remote Access not an option? We are now offering onsite visits for HEDIS hybrid retrieval. Email us at Centralized_EMR_Team@anthem.com for more information.
February 2023 Anthem Provider News - Indiana