Anthem Commercial Risk Adjustment (CRA) reporting update: Health Assessment requests for 2019 and alternative reporting engagement
As a reminder, there are two approaches that we take, Retrospective and Prospective, to improve risk adjustment reporting accuracy. We are focusing on performing appropriate interventions and chart reviews for patients with undocumented Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC), to close the documentation and coding gaps that we are seeing with our members enrolled in our Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant plans.
This month we’d like to focus on the Prospective approach, and the request to our Providers.
Anthem network providers, usually primary care physicians, may receive letters from our vendor, Inovalon, requesting that physicians:
- schedule a comprehensive visit with patients identified to confirm or deny if previously coded or suspected diagnoses exists, and
- submit a Health Assessment documenting the previously coded or suspected diagnoses (also called a SOAP Note – Subjective, Objective, Assessment and Plan).
Health Assessment requests through Inovalon
We have engaged Inovalon, an independent company that provides secure, clinical documentation services, to help us comply with provisions of the ACA that require us to assess members’ relative health risk level. In the coming weeks and months, Inovalon will be sending letters to providers as part of our risk adjustment cycle, asking for their help with completing health assessments for some of our members.
This year will bring a new round of assessments. As a reminder, chronic conditions must be coded every year, and we encourage you to code to the greatest level of specificity on all Anthem claim submissions. If you have questions about the requests you receive, you can reach Inovalon directly at 866-682-6680.
Maximize your Incentive opportunity: submit electronically via Inovalon’s ePASS® tool
Join an ePASS webinar to learn how to submit a Health Assessment electronically and maximize your incentive opportunities. They are offered every Wednesday from 3:00–4:00 p.m. Register by sending an email to ePASSProviderRelations@inovalon.com with your name, organization, contact information and the date of the webinar you wish to attend.
- Teleconference: Dial 1-415-655-0002 (US Toll) and enter access code: 736 436 872
- WebEx: Visit inovalonmeet.webex.com and enter meeting number: 736 436 872
- Once you join the call, live support is available at any time by dialing *0
Alternative reporting engagement
ePASS is our preferred method for submission for the Prospective approach. However to improve engagement and collaborate with our Providers who are not submitting via ePASS, we have identified other alternatives which may be helpful and provide more flexibility with your current processes.
If you are interested in any of these alternative options, please email our CRA Network Education Representative, Alicia Estrada at Alicia.Estrada@anthem.com.
Alternative reporting option/description:
- Availity comprehensive health assessment: Availity will send a notification of members who have gaps and need assessments. The office will schedule members to be seen, at this time open gaps are displayed. Once the visit is completed, the office will complete the health assessment via Availity and the provider will review and sign off. Eligible for $100 incentive.
- EPIC Patient Assessment Form (PAF): Providers with EPIC as their EMR system can fax the EPIC PAF to Inovalon at 866-682-6680 without a coversheet. Eligible for $50 incentive.
- Providers existing Patient Assessment Form (PAF): Utilize providers existing EMR system and applicable PAF and fax to Inovalon at 866-682-6680. Must be submitted with a coversheet indicating "see attached Anthem progress note“. Eligible for $50 incentive. Note: Please reach out to the CRA Network Education Representative listed above for confirmation that your EMR system’s PAF is compliant.
- EPHC providers using PCMS: Providers participating in our Enhanced Personal Health Care (EPHC) program can use member reports from our PCMS tool within Availity to schedule members for comprehensive visits. Providers use normal gap closure through claims submission. No Health Assessment needed.
- List of members to be scheduled: Anthem provides member report for providers to schedule members for comprehensive visits. Providers use normal gap closure through claims submission. No Health Assessment needed.
- Allscripts push notifications: (combine with EMR Interoperability for Chart Requests from our Retrospective approach) Once a member is scheduled for visit, provider will get notification of outstanding gaps. Benefit: Provider is aware upfront, at the time of the visit to address chronic conditions with members and code them accurately on their claim. No Health Assessment needed.
Anthem May 2019 Provider News - Georgia