UPDATE: Notice of changes to the AIM Small Joint Surgery Guideline
On November 1, 2020, AIM Specialty Health® (AIM) began administering the AIM Musculoskeletal program to perform medical necessity reviews for certain elective surgeries of the small joints using AIM clinical guidelines for Anthem fully-insured members and certain ASO groups.
Effective March 14, 2021, the AIM Small Joint Surgery Guideline will be updated with the following:
- Clarified requirements for imaging reports
- Removed radiographic requirement for confirmation of lesser toe deformities
- Added ankle arthrodesis and total ankle arthroplasty as new indications for revision of failed previous reconstructions
- Removed total ankle arthroplasty requirements for adjacent joint or inflammatory arthritis
- Clarified contraindications only apply to total ankle arthroplasty
Providers should continue to submit pre-service review requests to AIM using one of the following options:
- Access AIM’s ProviderPortalSM directly at www.providerportal.com. Real-time, online access is available 24/7 to process orders, and is the fastest and most convenient way to request authorization.
- Access AIM via the Availity Portal at www.availity.com.
- Call the AIM toll-free number at 866-714-1107, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
For questions, please contact the provider number on the back of the member’s ID card.
March 2021 Anthem Connecticut Provider News