Coordination of care
Coordination of care among providers is a vital aspect of good treatment planning to help ensure appropriate diagnosis, treatment, and referral. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield (Anthem) is taking this opportunity to stress the importance of communicating with your patients’ other healthcare practitioners. This includes primary care physicians (PCPs), medical specialists, and behavioral health practitioners.
Coordination of care is especially important for patients with high utilization of general medical services and those referred to a behavioral health specialist by another healthcare practitioner. We urge all practitioners to obtain the appropriate permission from these patients to coordinate care between behavioral health and other healthcare practitioners at the time treatment begins.
We expect all healthcare practitioners to:
- Discuss with the patient the importance of communicating with other treating practitioners.
- Obtain a signed release from the patient and file a copy in the medical record.
- Document in the medical record if the patient refuses to sign a release.
- Document in the medical record if you request a consultation.
- If you make a referral, transmit the necessary information. If you are furnishing a referral, report appropriate information back to the referring practitioner.
- Document evidence of clinical feedback (that is a consultation report) that includes, but is not limited to:
- Treatment plan
- Psychopharmacological medication (as applicable)
In an effort to facilitate coordination of care, Anthem has several tools available on our provider website including a coordination of care form and coordination of care letter templates for both behavioral health and other medical practitioners. * Behavioral health tools are available such as forms, brochures, and screening tools for substance abuse, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and autism. Please refer to the website for a complete list.**
*Access to the forms and template letters are available at https://www.anthem.com/provider/forms/?cnslocale=en_US_co
**Access to the Behavioral Health tools are available at https://www.anthem.com/provider/forms/?cnslocale=en_US_co
December 2021 Anthem Provider News and Important Updates - Colorado