Aspire Health for members in need of palliative care
Anthem Blue Cross has contracted with Aspire Health* to provide in-home and virtual palliative care services to our Medicaid members facing advanced illness.
The typical Aspire patient:
- Is usually in the most chronically ill sector of the physician’s patient population with high emergency room or hospitalization use.
- Confronts multiple illnesses, such as:
- Chronic heart failure.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Advanced cancers.
- Geriatric frailty.
- Chronic or end-stage renal disease.
- Chronic liver disease.
- Cerebrovascular accidents.
- Other neurologic illnesses.
- May see multiple providers, or frequently seek care in emergency rooms and hospitals.
- May have limited family support or have family caregivers with their own health concerns.
- Receives care that is both high-cost and low-value, often resulting in frequent hospitalizations for uncontrolled symptoms and/or exacerbations of chronic disease.
Aspire offers a solution to the fragmented and expensive care that patients so often experience during the last chapter of life. By working with community physicians to enroll and serve these vulnerable patients in their homes, Aspire helps patients to increase their overall comfort, increase their satisfaction with both their PCP and their health plan, and minimize the risk of unnecessary or unwanted hospitalizations.
The Aspire team works to align medical care with a patient’s goals and values. Through patient and caregiver support, education and expert symptom management with an interdisciplinary team accessible 24/7, Aspire enables patients to avoid unnecessary emergency department visits and hospitalizations.
Aspire’s model is built around a philosophy of co-management. After each Aspire visit, a patient’s PCP and pertinent specialists receive a clinical visit summary via secure eFax to facilitate coordination of care, and Aspire’s local clinical leadership is available to communicate with providers around the clock.
For more information or to refer one of your patients to the Aspire program, please call Aspire’s 24/7 Patient and Referral Hotline at 1-877-702-6863 or visit aspirehealthcare.com.
* Aspire Health is an independent company providing in-home health care services on behalf of Anthem Blue Cross.
June 2021 Anthem Blue Cross Provider News - California